Re: Appropriate List for GPL Discussions?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Appropriate List for GPL Discussions?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:32:32 +0100

   Are you guys aware of the dispute over some of the code in the
   former Lycoris distro, namely Iris, and other Desktop LX packages?

Not me.  But as always with copyright, speak to a lawyer, and refer to
the copyright holders.  As far as I see it, the FSF is not the
copyright holder of this thing called Iris, and can do very little.

   I wonder, to what extent is Mandriva really liable, especially if
   they have in fact inherited Lycoris' failure to comply with the
   GPL?  While I think the community is largely very forgiving, what
   is the effect of the auto-termination clause?  How should the
   community view this?

There is very little that the community can do, only the copyright
holder(s) has any legal significance.  What you should do is speak
with the copyright holder(s), since that is the only part that can do
anything.

   But what about the other GPL'ed packages?  For instance, Bash and
   NCurses are among the programs that Lycoris allegedly failed to
   include sources for.

Section 3 of the GNU GPLv2 applies here, if they didn't do one of
those paragraphs, then they are in violation.  If this is the case,
then the FSF can do something for those two packages.

And ignore Alexander Terekhov.