Re: GPL and other licences

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:15:53 -0600

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:03:16 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    > This boils down to: Can you break the law at home?  Of course you
>    > can't.  So the same applies to the GPL.  Since you cannot mix two
>    > incompatible licenses legally, then you cannot do this in the privacy
>    > of your own internal use.  It would in the end still be a violation of
>    > copyright law.
>
>    No it does not quite boil down to that.  What it boils down to is
>    whether the GPL grants permission to so mix the software at home as
>    long as you do not distribute the combination.
>
> It does boil down to that, you are still violating the license, and in
> turn copyright law.  Just that nobody knows of it so nobody can sue
> you.

This should be pretty easy to resolve.  Show me the license provision of the
GPL that allows me to combine (and not distribute) GPL code that is broken
when I combine (but do not distribute) GPL and non GPL code.   I don't
believe you can find a provision that does this.  You can only find provisions
which disallow distribution of funky combinations.

Isaac