Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:19:51 +0100

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 16:55 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > form, you can reproduce it in object code form (as an additional
> > copy per 17 USC 117) using compilation process (as in computing),
> > link it together with other stuff and run. It's all allowed per
> > statute.
>
> Folks, read what he points to instead of taking his word.
>
> Alex, you should know that that is about you giving _your_ copy to
> someone else, and not about giving _a_new_copy_ of _your_copy_ to
> someone else.
>
> While on the first case you are right, on the second you made a copy,
> which you can only as long as you respect the conditions stated by the
> author.

-----
Further, my understanding is that Alexander was proposing lawfully acquiring
and distributing copies and not making new copies.  If the law requires that
a backup or adapted copy be distributed with the originals, Alexander would
do that and then acquire, at no expense, a new copy.  Rinse lather repeat.

You ask how a copy would be acquired without accepting the GPL.

I'm not aware of an expectation or requirement to accept the GPL before
downloading the software.  Free software is often made available for
downloading without any notice obtained before, during or after the download
that the copies obtained must be deleted if the GPL is not accepted.

Anyone can obtain GPLd software, and provided only that they include source
code, operate a free or paid distribution ftp site in which they allow
GPLd software to be downloaded without restriction.

Isaac
-----

The only correction is for an "adapted copy" to escape the GPL, it requires
two legal persons and two transfers.