Re: GPL 3 and patents question

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL 3 and patents question
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:03:22 -0600

Barry Margolin writes:
> Are you saying that this section of the GPL, which says he needs to do
> so, is meaningless?  Or are we just misinterpreting it?

It doesn't say he needs to do so.  It says he _may_ do so.  From the GPL:

  8. If the distribution and/or use of the Program is restricted in
  certain countries either by patents or by copyrighted interfaces, the
  original copyright holder who places the Program under this License
  may add an explicit geographical distribution limitation excluding
  ^^^
  those countries, so that distribution is permitted only in or among
  countries not thus excluded.  In such case, this License incorporates
  the limitation as if written in the body of this License.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org