Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 02:10:10 +0100

The license _does_ apply.  It is you who don't get it.  You are saying
that all companies that have illegal copies of Windows, are not
breaking the law, since they are `for internal use' and no rules
apply.

You are also speaking about some kind of owner of the software, you
cannot own software!  I don't know where you got that idea.  You are
obviously confusing property law and copyright law.  If you give me a
copy of a program on a CD, then I cannot do what I want with the _CD_,
this is perfectly true.  But I can do whatever I want with the
_CONTENT_ on the CD _if_and_only_if_ the license allows me to do this.

You cannot go and say that the license is void because of this or that
reason; no judge in the world will agree with you nor will any lawyer.
The GPL has _NO_ clause that allows you to `violate the license for
internal use'.  Copyright law still applies within the walls of a
company; always has and always will.  Go look up how succesfull evil
companies like the BSA are in suing the hell out of companies for
violating copyright laws, where they have used software that was
legally aquired and then copied several times in breach of the license
that the copyright holder granted to the company.  Infact, the BSA has
succesffully sued _PRIVATE_ people for copyright violations.  But
according to you, this is simply impossible since you can do whatever
you want with a private copy of something; this is obviously
completely false since there is already a legal precendet of that this
is completely and utterly bogus.

Copyright law has no concept of `internal use'.  That some FAQ says
this or that is completely and utterly irrelevant.

The only person who doesn't understand how law operates is you, you
have also shown complete and utter lack any candor, and have resorted
to name calling on several ocassions.  The only person spreading
falsehoods is you David.