Re: Intellectual Property II

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Intellectual Property II
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:24:43 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Conditional authorization does not magically turn into unconditional
> authorization.

A promise on my part to forbear from distribution right under first
sale and instead do what you decree is a covenant, not a condition.
And it has really nothing to do with copyright. Breach of contract
is the only nonfrivolous claim you can make (provided that I have
fulfilled the real conditions and created authorized copies).

-----
Adobe asserts that its license defines the relationship between
Adobe and any third-party such that a breach of the license
constitutes copyright infringement. This assertion is not accurate
because copyright law in fact provides certain rights to owners of
a particular copy. This grant of rights is independent from any
purported grant of rights from Adobe. The Adobe license compels
third-parties to relinquish rights that the third-parties enjoy
under copyright law.
-----

s/Adobe/FSF