Re: GPL and other licences

From: Graham Murray
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:47:03 +0000

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Graham Murray <newspost@gmurray.org.uk> writes:
>> For example you borrow from the library a book which comes with a CD
>> containing GPL'd software. Under the terms of the GPL are you not
>> entitled to make a copy of that software before returning the book
>> and CD to the library? You do not need the library's (owner of the
>> physical copy you copied) permission to do so.
>
> Not?  You mean, I can just walk into a library and start scanning with
> a hand scanner or a digital camera from media that happen to contain
> public domain material, without actually borrowing the stuff out?

No I am not suggesting that at all. What I am suggesting is that I can
borrow a book from the library and once it is in my possession I can
do with it anything allowed by copyright law. I can quote from
copyright works therein (within the restrictions set by copyright
law), if there is any public domain works in the book I can make a
copy of such works. If there is a CD accompanying the book and if that
CD contains works licensed under the GPL, I am suggesting that the GPL
gives me the right to "accept the licence" and make copies etc. even
though I am neither the owner of the physical copy nor has the owner
given explicit permission to make copies.

I still do not see why the licence only applies to the owner of the
physical copy and not to anyone who (legally) has access to the work
(for whatever purpose). To answer the point raised about the postman,
the reason I think this is different is that postman only has legal
access to closed package and not to the contents thereof.