Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:49:58 +0100

   > You do not have to be the owner of the copy in order to exercise
   > the rights given in the GPL.

   You have to be the owner, period.

Not according to the GPL: 0. This License applies to any program or
other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder
saying it may be distributed under the terms of this General Public
License.

   Not?  You mean, I can just walk into a library and start scanning
   with a hand scanner or a digital camera from media that happen to
   contain public domain material, without actually borrowing the
   stuff out?

   You'll find that this is not the case.  You have to meet the
   library's conditions for borrowing the stuff, and only then they'll
   grant you access to it pursuant to the conditions of the copyright
   holder as permitted to them.

They granted me access to it, so if the material is in the PD, then I
am actually allowed to do so without `borrowing' the stuff.