Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine

From: Ron House
Subject: Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:07:32 +1000

billwg wrote:

OSSers are quick to say that people using Windows and commercial apps are stupid and/or being forced to use Windows and the commercial apps by some nefarious but unexplainable mechanism operated in secret by Bill Gates to control minds.

The mechanism's perfectly easy to understand, except to a liar or a dill. If I want to play a certain game and it only comes in a doze version, I need doze. If I sign up for broadband and the isp only supplies a doze installation disk and won't release tech details, I need doze. If my employer or my children's school only accepts .doc files, then to be safe I need doze and messoffice. I don't want doze, I don't want messoffice; these things only happen because doze holds a monopoly, retailers only refuse to install linux for me because the monopoly forced them to sign that they wouldn't, but because there is a (hopefully fading) monopoly, for a great many reasons quite disconnected from any supposed excellence of the product, I need doze. Get it?

--
Ron House       house@usq.edu.au
                http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house