Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:44:52 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> How do you suppose the GPL leads to less competition

moglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/maine-speech.html

"We construct a protected commons, in which by a trick, an irony, the
 phenomena of commons are adduced through the phenomena of copyright,
 restricted ownership is employed to create non-restricted, self-
 protected commons. The GPL ..."

"So, we now find ourselves, if you will permit me, projected
 approximately twenty-five to thirty years into the future. Software
 is a service, a public utility, being produced primarily by people we
 presently call ``students,'' doing something we presently call
 ``learning.'' The primary services being sold in the Capitalist
 economy with respect to software are project management,
 indemnification [aha ha ha], distributional customization, and
 tailoring, piece by piece, to the individual needs of consumers."

"Now we have forty percent of the server market. We're going to have
 a hundred percent of the appliance market within five years. That's
 a trivial economic deduction ..."

Or do you disagree with the your fellow GNUtian Number Two and coauthor
of the GPL v3, dak?

Well, we'll see how the Judge Young will deal with the GPL and Wallace's
allegations.

If Judge Young in the IBM case reads and considers Wallace's 2nd Answer
Brief I am confident that the Motion to Dismiss will be denied.

If the Judge refuses to even read the plaintiff's Answer Brief as Judge
Tinder obviusly did then it's probably over.

There is an interesting 2003 case in which Judge Young was appealed to
the Seventh Circuit. In that case, the Seventh Circuit noted that a
predatory pricing allegation constitutes an allegation of antitrust
injury:

"An underlying question regarding this tying claim is whether the
plaintiffs have suffered an antitrust injurym as a result. Suits cannot
be brought under § 4 of the Clayton Act unless “a private party is
adversely affected by an anticompetitive aspect of the defendant’s
conduct.” Atl. Richfield Co. v. USA Petroleum Co., 495 U.S. 328, 339
(1990) (citing Brunswick, 429 U.S. at 487) (emphasis in original).
Neither plaintiff claims that the prices that ProLiance charged for
the gas itself or its transportation were predatory, or that ProLiance
somehow injured its customers by charging excessive prices for either
gas transportation or gas.

. . . That the plaintiffs’ losses stem from this behavior and not
behavior that is anticompetitive, e.g., predatory pricing, means that
they cannot make a tying claim against ProLiance that can withstand a
motion to dismiss, since “the antitrust laws do not require the courts
to protect small businesses from the loss of profits due to continued
competition, but only against the loss of profits from practices
forbidden by the antitrust laws.” Cargill, 479 U.S. at 116; see also
Atl. Richfield, 495 U.S. at 340-41; Jefferson Parish, 466 U.S. at 14. ";
Midwest Gas Services, Inc. v. Indiana Gas Co., 317 F.3d 703 (7th Cir.),
cert. denied, 540 U.S. 817 (2003)"

If I were Wallace I'd add "GPL incompatible" boycott scheme to the
mix right from the beginning... and file together with some victim
(there are many).

----
Summit Health concerned the allegations by ophthalmologist/eye
physician Pinhas that Summit Health, Midway Hospital Medical Center,
its medical staff and others had entered into a conspiracy to drive
Pinhas out of business so that other ophthalmologists and eye
physicians, including four of the defendants, will have a greater
share of the eye care and ophthalmic surgery in Los Angeles.

The Supreme Court held that "[Plaintiff] Pinhas' allegations satisfy
the Act's jurisdictional requirements. To be successful, Pinhas need
not allege an actual effect on interstate commerce. Because the
essence of any Section 1 violation is the illegal agreement itself,
the proper analysis focuses upon the potential harm that would ensure
if the conspiracy were successful, not upon actual consequences. And
if the conspiracy alleged in the complaint is successful, as a matter
of practical economics there will be a reduction in the provision of
ophthalmological services in the Los Angeles market. Thus, petitioners
[i.e., defendants] erroneously content that a boycott of a single
surgeon, unlike a conspiracy to destroy a hospital department or a
hospital, has no effect on interstate commerce because there remains
an adequate supply of others to perform services for his patients.
This case involves an alleged restraint on the practice of
ophthalmological services accomplished by an alleged misuse of a
congressionally regulated peer review process, which has been
characterized as the gateway controlling access to the market for
Pinhas' services. When the competitive significance of respondent's
exclusion from the market is measured, not by a particularized
evaluation of his practice, but by a general evaluation of the
restraint's impact on other participants and potential participants
in that market, the restraint is covered by the Act. Pp. 328-333."
----