Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:36:18 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Judge Tinder got

nothing quite right. He even said that price-fixing IP at zero results
in "more innovation." Very interesting. Perhaps Wallace should submit
(as his supplemental authority) to Judge Young the following paper by
a bunch of PhDs:

http://www.actonline.org/iptechsummit/Documents/Panel%201/Open%20Source%20Software%20and%20Innovation/GPL%20and%20Innovation%20-%20Maskus%20Report.pdf

"We emphasize that our results come from simulation of the model and
parameters chosen. However, the findings do suggest, over a wide range
of parameters, that a relatively small share of software development
by a sector operating under the GPL is sufficient to diminish overall
innovation. Given the importance of new computer programs in reducing
the costs of producing consumer goods, there would be an additional
deleterious impact on productivity growth in the wider economy."