Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine

From: Kier
Subject: Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:46:24 +0000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:20:38 -0600, Linønutlinønut wrote:

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>>> I think Karl should let RMS post his own responses to Usenet trolls,
>>> should he wish to do so.
>>
>> He's crippled by RSI, I believe, so maybe he prefers to leave posting to
>> Usenet to others on his behalf, to save his wrists for his coding work.
>
> Ahhh, that does make sense.  Still, for missives, text-to-speech should
> work well enough.  (Not for code, though, I would guess.)
>
>> I admit to being sceptical of the message, but it certainly was consistent
>> with RMS's personality and views.
>
> I agree, but I was skeptical nonetheless.  I remember getting suckered
> by a fake post from "Linus Torvalds".

Have to say, I wasn't caught by that one. To be honest, I don't think he'd
be seen dead in COLA these days. Far too much banging on about Windows.

>> And how the hell would either of them
>> know anything about trolls like 'Karen Hill'?
>
> Simple.  Read "her" post and think a bit.

And how may times have we answered trolls, either knowingly or
unknowingly, as if they were serious?

> To be fair, I'm sure RMS/Karl don't know about COLA, and so the
> cross-post didn't raise any red flags.

Exactly. We tend to assume what goes on in COLA is familiar to others from
outside, but it isn't.

> I'm pretty sure I made some mistakes in this thread <wry grin>.

Hey, we all do that.

> One more thing.  Just wanted to make it clear that I am a big fan of GNU
> and the GPL.  There would be no "Linux" distros without it.  And the FSF
> is to be commended for working hard to preserve a very endangered part
> of "the Commons", and, in fact, enlarging it.  And I agree with most of
> what RMS has to say.

Me too. And even when I don't, I respect him for sticking to his guns. You
know he's doing something right when some people have to dredge up insults
about his appearance and can't refute what he says.

> Perhaps I should change my street name to "GNU/Linønut"!

Go for it!

--
Kier