NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 3 May 2006 NYCBUG Double Header: Mischa Diehm on VP

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 3 May 2006 NYCBUG Double Header: Mischa Diehm on VPN and Mickey Shalayeff on PAE
Date: 3 May 2006 15:29:25 -0400

  what="official NYCBUG announcement">

 From: "Announcements only list for NYCBUG \(announcements are not cross-posted
        to other lists\)." <announce@lists.nycbug.org>
 Subject: [announce] Wednesday Meeting and More. . .

 May 03, 2006
 Mischa Diehm: VPN & Mickey Shalayeff: PAE

 This is a special Two Part Meeting
 Suspenders Bar
 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM
 111 Broadway & Thames
 directions are here: http://suspendersbar.com/directions.html

 Part 1: VPNs with OpenBSD in large corporate networks

 Large corporate networks are traditionally a mess. Historically grown,
 designed and maintained by a number of different people and never really
 intended to be secure. Above all big companies are operating globally
 and often use the internet to connect their locations, employees and 3rd
 party supporters. We need very flexible ways to deal with the vast
 number of requirements to secure these networks. This talk will show
 different practical approaches in building flexible secure VPNs with
 OpenBSD at different network levels.

 About Mischa
 Mischa is working on VPN and Firewall deployment at GeNUAmbH in Munich,
 where he maintains large scale network and firewall setups.
 Part 2: Implementing PAE for OpenBSD/i386
 Not yet committed to OpenBSD, Mickey has been working on PAE for OpenBSD
 i386. Essentially, it`s about supporting up to 64 gig of physical memory.

 About Mickey
 It is hard to find some code which Michael has not at least influenced
 in OpenBSD. He seems to be dextrous on any hardware platform and is
 equally well versed in PCI as he is SCSI. Mickey is readily available on
 the message lists and is always happy to help impart some of his vast
 networking knowledge to beggars and sysadmins with a smile. He recently
 left New York City to cause havoc in Berlin.

 We'll also be selling tshirts to raise funds for the OpenBSD Hackathon.
 . .so make sure you're ready to contribute.

 *      *       *       *       *       *

 A reminder that BSDCan 2006 is just two weeks away.  Our schedule has
 been announced <http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/schedule.php> and we're
 putting the finishing touches on the social calendar.  We have a
 great line up of talks and bofs ready for you.  Be sure to get in on
 the biggest BSD event of the year!

 As is tradition, you can pick up your registration pack at the Royal
 Oak pub.  Stay for a pint or two and have dinner with us.

 FYI: The FreeBSD Developer summit will ensure that many of the
 FreeBSD committers will be at BSDCan.  They wind up their session on
 Thursday and most of them will be with us at the pub.