Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:41:40 +0200

Merijn de Weerd wrote:
[...]
> What the GPL says in section 2 is that if you combine your own
> work with the GPL work, the GPL applies to the whole. That's
> logical: such a combination is a derivative work. This paragraph
> of text is my original work. The combination of my paragraphs
> with the parts of your message that I cited above is a derivative
> work of your message.

Not at all. It's a compilation.

Now, this work is a derivative work of your message:

What the GPL says in section 2 is that if you combine your own
independent work under copyright law with the GPL work, the GPL doesn't
not bring the other work under the scope of the GPL. This combination
of paragraphs with the parts of your message that I cited above is a
compilation and not a derivative work of your message.

And only this work is a derivative work of your message.

Please bare in your mind that <quote> In fact, the GPL itself rejects
any automatic aggregation of software copyrights under the GPL simply
because one program licensed under the GPL is distributed together with
another program that is not licensed under the GPL: "In addition, mere
aggregation of another work not based on the Program with the Program
(or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or
distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of
this License. </quote> http://www.terekhov.de/Wallace_v_FSF_37.pdf