Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:47:07 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > Merijn de Weerd wrote:
> > [...]
> >> What the GPL says in section 2 is that if you combine your own
> >> work with the GPL work, the GPL applies to the whole. That's
> >> logical: such a combination is a derivative work. This paragraph
> >> of text is my original work. The combination of my paragraphs
> >> with the parts of your message that I cited above is a derivative
> >> work of your message.
> >
> > Not at all. It's a compilation.
>
> You are confusing "compilation" in the literary (and legal) and in the
> computer sense.

And how am I confusing it?

>                 A compilation is a collection of independent works

Yes.

> only related by topic.

A "compilation" is a work formed by the collection and assembling of
preexisting materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or
arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes
an original work of authorship. The term "compilation" includes
collective works.

A "collective work" is a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology,
or encyclopedia, in which a number of contributions, constituting
separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a
collective whole.

>                         You can throw out parts and retain a
> compilation.

And?