Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:05:46 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:
[...]
> Also, the following paragraph might apply:
>
> | These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
> | identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
> | Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate
> | works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not
> | apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate
> | works.  But when you distribute the same sections as part of a
> | whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of
> | the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions
> | for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each
> | and every part regardless of who wrote it.

A compilation is not "a modified work" (derivative work). Compilations
and derivative works are different concepts under copyright law. And
"that is to say" wording in the GPL Section 0 erroneously misstating
the copyright law has no bearing on the licensees. (The GPL has other
misstatements of copyright law as well and this is just the evidence
that it was written by legally illiterate RMS, not a lawyer.)

There's no dispute that a derivative work as a whole does fall under
the GPL irrespective of who wrote those "sections" (whatever that not
defined term "section" means in the GNU Republic). But then it comes
to aggregating that derivative work ("a work based on the Program")
with "another work not based on the Program", the GPL says that
aggregation "does not bring the other work under the scope of this
License."

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a
storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the
scope of this License."

Please bare in your mind that <quote> In fact, the GPL itself rejects
any automatic aggregation of software copyrights under the GPL simply
because one program licensed under the GPL is distributed together with
another program that is not licensed under the GPL: "In addition, mere
this License. </quote> http://www.terekhov.de/Wallace_v_FSF_37.pdf