Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 01:05:00 +0200

Merijn de Weerd wrote:
[...]
> By selectively quoting parts of another message, I am
> creating a derivative. That follows from the literal
> wording of 17 USC 101:
>
>   A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations,
>   elaborations, or other modifications, which, as a whole,
>   represent an original work of authorship, is a 'derivative work.'
>
> My reply is an original work of authorship. I provided
> annotations and other modifications to the message I replied
> to. Therefore my reply is and only can be a derivative work.

You simply don't grok it.

This is a derivative (annotated) work:

Annotation of General Prologue for Canterbury Tales

Whan that [When] Aprill with his shoures soote [sweet showers/rain]
The droghte [drought] of March hath perced [pierced] to the roote [root],
And bathed every veyne in swich licour [fluid such that]
Of which vertu engendred [by virtue of which is caused] is the flour [flower]
Whan Zephirus [Zephir, the West Wind] eek [also] with his sweete breeth [sweet
breath]
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth´...

But this message as a whole is not a derivative work.