Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 10:57:10 +0200

On 2006-05-13, Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> Merijn de Weerd wrote:
>> My reply is an original work of authorship. I provided
>> annotations and other modifications to the message I replied
>> to. Therefore my reply is and only can be a derivative work.
>
> You simply don't grok it.

That's nice. Now provide an argument why, please.

> This is a derivative (annotated) work:

True, adding inline annotations produces a derivative work.

Why is a series of citations followed by annotations or responses
not derivative? It's a critique, not a rewrite, but it does
incorporate parts of a preexisting work into a new work.

I don't think there's a single judge who would consider the
style of quoting (inline [] versus ">"-based quoting) at
all relevant.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply