Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 20:46:55 +0200

On 2006-05-14, Eric <nospam@email.com> wrote:
> Well, suppose, hypothetically, that you added a lot of code to the
> kernel/base distribution, stripped out some of the base distribution stuff
> (like X or whaever) too in order to create a really robust and unique
> testing environment for testing new computer systems. You'd want to keep
> that inhouse to prevent your competition from gaining the same advantage
> that you just worked months or years to create.

Suppose you add a lot of code to implement a really robust and
unique embedded software stack that makes a great product. You'd
want to keep that proprietary to prevent your competition from
gaining the same advantage that you just worked months or years to
create. Yet, you have to share if you build upon GPL software.
The same should apply to the in-house environment you describe.

About the only real justification I can think of is when
the code simply isn't ready for release. You don't want to
be forced to publish every interim release or internal beta.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply