Re: DLL Copyright

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: DLL Copyright
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:15:40 +0200 (CEST)

   > The DLL bundle must be licensed under the the same terms as the
   > GNU GPL (see section 2 of the GNU GPL).  This is because the DLL
   > bundle is a deriviate work.

   So by "the same terms" do you mean the same copyright?

By the same terms, I mean the same terms.

   Does this mean that author #2 holds NO copyright to the application
   bundle?

Author #2 holds the copyright for his changes (and must properly state
so in the copyright notice by adding `Copyright (c) FOO BAR YYYY'
below whatever other such notices there are), but he must license them
under the same terms as the GNU GPL.  See section 2.

   I've read the GNU GPL and I'm still not entirely certain, Are there
   perhaps any software examples of this to which you could point me?

Linux is a good example, lots of copyright holders, a single license.
If I make and distribute a change to Linux, it must be released under
the same terms as the GNU GPL, though I am still the copyright holder
of the changes I made.

The GNU GPL FAQ is a good place to start with questions of this type.

Cheers.