Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:53:04 +0200

Merijn de Weerd wrote:
[...]
> As I said to David, I was talking about code that offers
> a service to the public.

Care to elaborate? (I gather that you're after that mysterious "ASP
loophole"...)

>                          In other words, a public performance

Public performance? Reading code aloud to public? My, what a show.

> of the work.
>
> By the way, do you have some sort of compulsion to add
> a random quote from 17 USC to anything you post?

Sort of.

----
To “perform” a work, under the definition in section 101, includes
reading a literary work aloud, singing or playing music, dancing a
ballet or other choreographic work, and acting out a dramatic work
or pantomime. A performance may be accomplished “either directly
or by means of any device or process,” including all kinds of
equipment for reproducing or amplifying sounds or visual images,
any sort of transmitting apparatus, any type of electronic
retrieval system, and any other techniques and systems not yet in
use or even invented.
----