Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:33:44 +0200

On 2006-05-17, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>> Every user who has access to the Program, yes.  This is all perfecly
>> reasonable.
>
> In your opinion, which differs quite from that of the FSF and pretty
> much everybody else.

The FSF did authorize the creation of the Affero GPL some time
ago. The AGPL contained a provision about precisely this subject.
And on http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/?cid=21
it is stated that
"The Affero GPL is incompatible with the GNU GPL version 2 because of
section 2(d); however, the section is written so that we can make GNU
GPL version 3 upward compatible with the Affero GPL."

The current draft of the GPLv3 has section 7d which does create
this compatibility. If the FSF thinks it's unreasonable, why
does GPLv3 allow it (optional, but still)?

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply