Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:11:57 +0100

Qua, 2006-05-17 às 21:17 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> Wallace brought forth the GPL. The GPL is his evidence.
>
> -------
> Predatory pricing
>
> The GPL establishes a predatory pricing scheme. Setting the maximum
> price of intellectual property at “no charge” removes all motive to
> compete. The Supreme Court has analyzed predatory pricing in a Sherman
> Act § 1 civil action:

Let's search for instances of "charge":

In the Preamble:
        (...) Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that
        you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and
        charge for this service if you wish), (...)

In Section 1:
        (...) You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring
        a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in
        exchange for a fee.

In Section 2, which is about distributing _DERIVATIVES_:
        2. _You_may_modify_ your copy or copies of the Program or any
        portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and
        _copy_and_distribute_ _such_modifications_ or work
        _under_the_terms_of_Section_1_ above, provided that you also
        meet all of these conditions:

So this is direct: you can charge for giving out a copy! But you must at
no extra cost license the new copies under the same terms:

        b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that
        in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or
        any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all
        third parties under the terms of this License.

If you want to distribute binaries then one of the ways you can do it is
to...
        b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
        years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
        cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
        machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
        distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
        medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

So no, you're wrong again (as the judge also concluded). What you can't
charge for, is for distributing under the GPL. But you can demand a
payment for the work of making that copy.

But of course, in Therekovian there's only one incentive for "life":
getting money.

Go traffic drugs, it's easier.

Rui