Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:37:41 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:

>> > But that caricature is of your own making.
>> >
>> > Wallace has 30 days to appeal. I hope he will. We'll see.
>>
>> Offer to pay all his legal expenses, for a small share in the
>> sure-fire recompensation he is about to get on appeal.  I am sure this
>> will motivate him.
>
> He seems to be motivated enough without any offers from me.

[Appeal claim]

This is going to be cute.  The problem with an appeal is that Wallace
does not merely have to get it right this time: he has to prove that
he got it right last time around, and the court just failed to notice.

It would take considerable skill to make a case that has a chance to
even survive into trial.  But proving that the previous attempt
already was sufficient would seem like an impossibly hard problem even
for somebody with a legal clue.

The downside, of course, is that Wallace's doomed attempts don't
actually say anything about the legal implications of the GPL either
which way.  They merely tell something about Wallace himself.