Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:08:00 -0500

Benjamin writes:
> I've a program I want to release under the GPL, it relies on a number of
> jar libraries covered under other licences such as Apache 2.0.

> Can I still distribute the software under the GPL or should I choose
> another licence?

If the program is entirely of your authorship you can distribute it under
any terms you wish.  However, if you don't add exceptions no one will be
able to redistribute it.  You can render the program redistributable by
putting a statement similar to "As a special exception from the terms of
the GPL you may create derivatives of this program by combining material
from it with material licensed under the the Apache 2.0 license <URL>." in
your COPYRIGHT file.

> If so what would you recommend?

Consider the LGPL.  Or the Apache 2.0 license.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org