GPL libraries and linking

From: Erik Wikström
Subject: GPL libraries and linking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:10:12 GMT

Following the debate about whether Kororaa violated the GPL or not [1] by shipping the nVidia and ATI binary drivers I started thinking about the requirement that any code linked to GPLed code should be GPLed. The GPL-FAQ seems pretty clear, if code is linked with a GPLed library then the code must be GPLed too [2].

The question that I'm interested in is when a piece of code is counted as being linked with a specific instance of a library and when it is linked to an interface. To demonstrate my point I have a small example:

I decide that I want to make my own implementation of X and goes ahead and writes all the necessary parts, among them Xlib, and then licenses it all under GPL. Next I go and compile some X-applications, which would then be liked with my home-made GPL Xlib.

Obviously this can not be the way things work since it would then be possible to force every application that links to libc to be GPL, but still, the FAQ says that any program which uses a GPLed library have to be GPL too.

Can someone provide some insight in this?

1. http://kororaa.org/index.php?entry=entry060521-200059
2. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

Erik Wikström
--
 "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
 telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure