Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

From: Karen Hill
Subject: Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."
Date: 23 May 2006 11:37:06 -0700

James Carlson wrote:
> Peter Jensen <usenet@pekajemaps.homeip.net> writes:
> > I know that this is just a troll attempting to stir up trouble, but I
> > may as well point out that this "license" is incompatible with the GPL,
> > in that it imposes additional restrictions.  It is therefore entirely
> > irrelevant as it only differs from the BSD license in its restrictions
> > on GPL use, while GPL software cannot use software licensed under this
> > extremely non-free license in the first place.
>
> It doesn't much matter what it says, as it's based on utterly false
> and clearly misunderstood legal issues.  The whole idea of
> "relicensing" by someone other than the original author is complete
> rubbish.

Hi James,

Read the clauses.  It says if the author of the work OWNS the copyright
it shall be released under the GPL and Freedom License.

As for being utter rubbish, look for this license to make a slash as if
a very important software project comes under it, many will be tempted
to use software licensed under the Freedom license.  Remember the
Freedom License _is_ GPL compatible because it allows you to release it
under the GPL to do what ever you wish, but if you own the copyright to
the software, it will also be released dually under the Freedom License.