Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."
Date: 23 May 2006 22:00:20 GMT

In article <slrne76qt3.l17.sorceror@localhost.localdomain>,
Ray Ingles  <sorceror171@gmail.com> wrote:
>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy, where I'm reading
>this.]

I am sorry to see that you are obviously a not interested in a reply
as you did remove comp.unix.solaris which is the only group I read.

For this reason, I needed to "fix" (restore) the list of newgroup to the
original value.

>> GNU make has many bugs that prevent GNU make from being POSIX
>> compliant.
>
> Can you point out some of them? Particularly ones that are not on this
>list:

Let me first point to the real problems:

-       Backshlash handling is completely broken in the gmake makefile parser.
        GNU make is trying to work around the problems caused by the
        proken parser by adding dozens of #ifdef WIN32 constructs.

        A parser that follows the POSIX standard does not need a single
        line od DOS/Win32 specific code.

-       Space handling (e.g. escaped newlines) is completely broken in
        the gmake makefile parser.

        Use this Makefile:
FOO=a\
\
\
\

all:
        @echo "${FOO}"

        Test with Sun make, smake (ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/smake/alpha/)
        and gmake:

        \make
        a    b
        smake
        a    b
        gmake
        a b

-       GNU make incorrectly expands "$<" for non-inplicit rules.
        It is impossible to expand "$<" to something useful in
        explicit rules.

        The fact that GNU make expands it to something strange
        causes many people to write broken Makefiles that depend
        on the GNU make bugs.

-       GNU make incorrectly expands "$*" for non-inplicit rules.
        It is impossible to expand "$*" to something useful in
        explicit rules.

        The fact that GNU make expands it to something strange
        causes many people to write broken Makefiles that depend
        on the GNU make bugs.

> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/make/make_121.html
>
> ...where it says:
>
> "The make programs in various other systems support a few features that
>are not implemented in GNU make. The POSIX.2 standard (IEEE Standard
>1003.2-1992) which specifies make does not require any of these
>features."

The text shows how up to date many GNU programs are today :-(
The recent standard is POSIX.1-2002.

If you look at the text from the URL you quoted, you will find that the text
does not match GNU make reality.

      js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)