Re: GPL libraries and linking

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GPL libraries and linking
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 20:37:52 +0000

Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 21:07:34 +0200:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote on Tue, 23 May 2006 16:46:18
>> +0200:

>> > Stallman should be sued for damages to the global environment and
>> > lost productivity. Amount of time, energy, bandwidth, and other
>> > resources spent on trying to make sense of his idiotic literary work
>> > is horrifying.

>> Actually, RMS's technical writing is perhaps the clearest, best
>> organised and most efficient on the whole planet.

> I meant: (http://www.fsf.org/news/gpl3.html)

The GPL isn't in any sense a literary work.  It's a legal one, and as
legal texts go, it's not too bad.  You can at least read it through from
top to bottom and get a good sense of what it's about in less than half
an hour.  You certainly couldn't do that with some of the vulgarity in
the SEI CMM documents.  (And if you don't know what these are, cherish
your ignorance!)

> ----
> The GPL is the Literary Work of Richard M. Stallman

[ .... ]

> So I gather that GPLv3 will create an even bigger disaster.

Bigger than what?  GPL2 has been an unmitigated success.

> Well, on the other hand I can kind of understand.. swan song and all
> that.

Oh, I don't know.  Wallace tried to attack GPL2, but couldn't even manage
to get his pistol cocked.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter