Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:37:55 +0200 (CEST)

   > Care to quote line and verse of POSIX?  I couldn't find where
   > this must be the behaviour of a POSIX compliant make.  Infact,
   > this is what IEEE Std 1003.1-2004 (the only thing I had in my
   > posession at this time, but it should be good enough) says:

   WRONG!

Wrong?  Can you show how it is wrong?  Many claims, no backing up of
them.  Many accusations without backing them up.

   in gmake?  It would be a "feature" in your world.

If such a thing would be useful, yes why not.

   Joerg won't see your post as he reads only comp.unix.solaris.

Hopefully he reads his email.

   He knows all about the MAKE POSIX standard because he wrote his own
   MAKE program called "smake"!!!  smake is POSIX compliant unlike
   gmake.

That is nice, so do the maintainers and authors of GNU Make.

   "What you consider a bug, people consider a feature" is a frequent
   Microsoft utterance.  When people use GNU makes "bug" they prevent
   portability to other platforms as Joerg mentioned in another
   message.

GNU tools are first and for most intended for the GNU system and
GNU/Linux.  They are not really intended for some random UNIXoid
system, even though they often run on those and people use them since
they are far better than the default tools.

If adding a useful feature breaks some standard, break the standard,
standards are not laws that have to be followed unconditionally.

Yes, I know you're a troll, but today I'm quite bored so this is your
food for the weekend.