Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:53:32 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

> If adding a useful feature breaks some standard, break the standard,
> standards are not laws that have to be followed unconditionally.
>

> Yes, I know you're a troll, but today I'm quite bored so this is
> your food for the weekend.

You've fallen for him, by the way.  He has not shown that make breaks
any standard.  Yes, it behaves differently from Unix' make, but not
every quirk of Unix make has been standardized.  Thank God, I have to
say: I have worked with Unix make before Linux even existed (though
GNU to some amount), and it was an absolute _crock_ what it did with
regard to stuff that was not strictly standardized.  I pray that they
have made its behavior more regular in the mean time, but at that time
it was basically trial and error to get the bugs do what one wanted.

And when you finally managed, people looked flabbergasted and said:
"this nonsense does something useful"?