Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:03:11 -0500

Amanjit Gill writes:
> I pretty much dislike the GPL (and LGPL because of the clause that you
> can "relicense" the work under the GPL) for everything else, i.e.
> Applications.

So use the LGPL with an added restriction (which will make it incompatible
with the GPL).

> I am looking for a BSD-style license, that is as BSD-compatible as
> possible but practically prohibits "relicensing" the work under the GPL
> or GPL-compatible licenses.

So you want to distribute your code under term that permit it to be
redistributed under closed-source terms such as the Microsoft EULA that
forbid resale, reverse engineering, etc, or loony licenses that do things
like forbid use by certain organizations, but you want to make it GPL
incompatible.  Ok.  Use the BSD license and add a GPL-incompatible
restriction (BTW it isn't relicensing).

> I basically found bits of code that was initially released under a BSD
> license, but somehow years afterwards someone made a GPL version of that
> software (same name, but only bugfixes or compiler changes in the code).

You can also find bits of code that was initially released under a BSD
license but was later included in works distributed by Microsoft under the
Microsoft EULA.  So what?

> I want to prevent this side-effect in an open source software I am about
> to write.

It isn't a side-effect.
--
John Hasler