Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: 21 Jun 2006 03:41:00 -0700

Hello Rui,

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra schrieb:

> Ter, 2006-06-20 às 00:25 -0700, Gottfried escreveu:
> > I would like to offer LiMath_Optimierung as a shareware program i.e for
> > some fee and without the source code. Please only discuss the license
> > issue, don't tell me whether you like Windows or Bill Gates or
> > something like that.
>
> Why are you in search of ways around the GPL?
I do not principally search of ways around the GPL. I only want to
clarify whether I am obligated in this special case to do so. At the
moment I would like to leave my program documentation and the download
archive as it is and avoid the aditional work to read and implement all
legal formalities associated with GLPK.

> I think that it's better to just release it under the GPL and still ask
> the user for a donation if he likes the program.
As far as I remember in the GPL text is stated that it is not a
question of money but of the freedom of users to get the source code.
First I would like to test whether there are at all users who are
interested in the program or the source code. I don't wont provide all
the overhead and then see that nobody is interested in. In some sense I
insist on the freedom of the author to decide further proceeding.