Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:53:14 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    At the moment I would like to leave my program documentation and
>    the download archive as it is and avoid the aditional work to read
>    and implement all legal formalities associated with GLPK.
>
> Release the program under a GPL compatible license, and you have
> solved all legal formalities.  Very simple solution. :-)
>
>    In some sense I insist on the freedom of the author to decide
>    further proceeding.
>
> The author has no right to restrict a users freedom to use, modify,
> improve and distribute software.

Oh, he certainly has that right in almost every country.  That's what
the Berne convention is about.  However, he does not have the right to
restrict a user's freedom to use, modify, improve and distribute
software that its respective author chose to license under the GPL.
That's what the GPL is about.