Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:15:39 +0200

> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> [...]
>> Or are you _also_ against the concept of software that's available
>> gratis?
>
> Depends. Gratis in violation of the Sherman Act (Section 1 and/or 2)
> is bad for (global) economy. I'm of opinion that the GPL is very bad
> for worldwide economic output and prosperity through productivity
> gains. And that it clearly violates anti-price-fixing laws.

Nonsense.  Price-fixing is a voluntary agreement between parties to
the detriment of other parties.  But heeding an existing license is
not a bilateral agreement, and everybody else is free to use and
extend the software under the same license as everybody else.
Agreement and compliance are different things.