Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:47:42 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>>
>> > David Kastrup wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > RedHat sells support, delivery, and maintenance contracts on annual
>> > subscription bases.  RedHat's GPL'd IP in pooled derivative and
>> > collective works is price-fixed at "no charge" and is available
>> > gratis.
>>
>> How can one talk about "price-fixed at no charge" in the same
>> paragraph with "sells delivery contracts"?  The price obviously is not
>> fixed but variable, and people make use of the variation.
>
> Uh. Ok, once again: RedHat's IP is "price-fixed at no charge" and is
> available gratis. Nothing variable.

I don't see anything like "RedHat IP -- $0" listed on their page.  In
fact, they retain their IP and don't give their copyright away.  They
provide, however, downloads for $0, so they price a particular form of
_copies_ at no charge.  They also price other copy forms at larger
charges.  It is like a free art catalogue: you are free to cut and
paste and frame stuff from the catalogue for your home, but they make
their money with people buying the pieces advertised in that manner.

> Ancillary service that they supply is priced far above costs of
> providing the service (above predatory levels) and it is used to
> recoup loses from GPL conspiracy and turn a profit. Got it now?

It is called advertising.  People recoup losses from the advertising
conspiracy (there are even whole billboards and gazettes for the sole
purpose of advertising) and turn a profit.  This sort of "conspiracy"
is pretty common nowadays.  In fact, almost every business does it.
Got it now?

I think that you have omitted invectives and expletives from this
thread for too long now.  People will think you are an imposter if you
don't correct this oversight soon.