Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:01:47 +0200

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:05:13 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

"Karen Hill" <karen_hill22@yahoo.com> writes:

The freedom license states that if you own the copyright a piece of
GPL software, you have permission to relicense the "Freedom License
Software" to the GPL but in exchange you must release a "Freedom
Licensed" version of your GPL software. Quid Pro Quo.  Other than
that clause, the Freedom License is exactly like the BSD license.

It is also GPL-incompatible.

Hardly. No GPL licensed software is being distributed with further
restrictions.
That's also why it doesn't work as the Freedom License's author intended.

I can take a Freedom Licensed library and convert it to GPL by simultaneously releasing my program under the Freedom License. So I create a trivial, minimal
GPL program and use the Freedom License'ed software with it, and get a GPL
licensed version with not further restrictions. The trivial code is released
under both GPL and Freedom License, making the world no richer.

I then use the GPL version of the library with my real software.

/L
--
Lasse R. Nielsen - atwork@infimum.dk
 'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine'