Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:46:03 +0200 (CEST)

   "Alfred M. Szmidt" wrote:

   >    Or dear. How much will you pay me for a CD full of GPL'd binaries
   >    (and no source code at all) which I'm going to distribute to you
   >    under contractual agreement imposing forbearance from exercising
   >    the rights granted to you under the GPL by the copyright owners?
   >
   > You are free to distribute a CD or any other media containing GPLed
   > software.  The GPL explicitly allows this.  But you have to do one of
   > the following if you do so, from section 3 of the GNU GPL version 2:

   I don't give a damn what it says. I'm not a party in GPL contract
   regarding works embodied on that CD.

5. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not
   signed it.  However, nothing else grants you permission to modify
   or distribute the Program or its derivative works.  These actions
   are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License.
   Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program (or any work
   based on the Program), you indicate your acceptance of this
   License to do so, and all its terms and conditions for copying,
   distributing or modifying the Program or works based on it.

The GNU GPL is a copyright license, not a contract.  You are free to
not accept the terms of the license, but if you do not accept them
default copyright law is in force, and you may not distribute or
modify the Program.