Re: Something about Less General Public License

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Something about Less General Public License
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:40:38 +0100

Seg, 2006-06-26 às 20:53 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> > DirectX's license certainly allows linking said software with other
> > licenses or it wouldn't be used at all.
>
> Uh, you made me waste half a gig of bandwidth to download the SDK.
>
> Guess what? MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS for MICROSOFT DIRECTX
> SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT say nothing about linking.

Only shows how tech-litterate you are. There's a much smaller download
with just the EULAs:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/a/f7ad6880-50d4-48b1-81cf-bd8f6a8b3abc/directx_9c_eulas.exe

Maybe this file needs a proper set of steps in order to download. That
thing that looks like an hash seems a hint of such a thing.

I said that it certainly allowed linking. And guess what, it does. But
you can't license your own product under certain terms as, for instance,
the GNU GPL. The license actually imposes a certain set of additional
restrictions like keeping your work proprietary. :)

It doesn't have to say the word "link" (the GNU GPL doesn't either,
except in the _post_ legal terms section that contains an example of
applying the GNU GPL.

But notice that they do impose many more restrictions than the GNU GPL
does...

Rui