Re: Mixing Licenses ... any hints needed

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Mixing Licenses ... any hints needed
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:51:30 +0200

weimingzhi@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
> this is obviously not what Trolltech intended

Trolltech's "intentions" is smoking gun stuff to invalidate the whole
scheme once and for all. I still wonder why Wallace didn't name
Trolltech, Inc., Palo Alto as a defendant in his action (which is
currently under appeal) right from the beginning... attaching stuff like

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/knowledgebase/118/

-----
Can I now use Qt for free everywhere?

Entry number: 118 - Can I now use Qt for free everywhere?
Answer:

No, this is not the case. You can use Qt for free only if you are writing
Open Source software following the obligations of the GPL license. You
will then need to publish the source code of your software for free,
unlimited re-use and re-distribution by anyone for any purpose.
-----

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/knowledgebase/190/

-----
Using the Qt Open Source Edition, can I make non-opensource software
for internal use in my company/organization?

Entry number: 190 - Using the Qt Open Source Edition, can I make
non-opensource software for internal use in my company/organization?

Answer:

No. Software developed with the Qt Open Source Edition is always open
source software, i.e. it can only be distributed under a open source
software license. In particular, all the source code for all the modules
your software is based on, regardless of whether they have been written
by you or by others, must be open source software (because of the "viral"
nature of the GPL). This is part of our commitment to the open source
software community, and enables those who contribute to the open source
software pool to do so without paying license fees.

Although it is possible to write open source software for internal use,
it is difficult to ensure that such software is used and distributed
legally. For example, if your open source software requires any modules
that impose conditions on you that contradict the conditions of the GNU
GPL, including, but not limited to, software patents, commercial license
agreements, copyrighted interface definitions or any sort of
non-disclosure agreement, then you cannot distribute it at all; hence
it cannot be given to consultants, employees for their personal
computers, subsidiaries, other divisions, or even to new owners.
-----

as exhibits to his complaint.