[RFC] Wallace case FAQ for dummies v1.5 -> v1.6

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: [RFC] Wallace case FAQ for dummies v1.5 -> v1.6
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:58:32 +0200

Thinking of adding one more Q (and A). Right after

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> (This is regular posting. Acknowledgments: aim_here2002, Linonut.)
>
> Q: Bzzzzt. What the fuck ... !?
>
> A: The context is property. Intangible intellectual property (rights
> granted under IP license). IP goods. Property in short.
>
> Q: Bzzzzt, but according to RMS, "intellectual property... is a mirage,
> which appears to have a coherent existence only because the term
> suggests it does." So bzzzzt, what the fuck ... !?
>
> A: Well, well, well. But according to one FTC commissioner (and an
> antitrust attorney), it is not quite a mirage. "One fundamental question
> in this area is whether intellectual property is like other property for
> purposes of antitrust analysis. In considering this question, it seems
> to me that we should keep in mind some obvious principles. First,
> intellectual property is property, that is to say, it belongs to someone
> who has the right to exclude others from using it without his or her
> consent. Second, intellectual property has attributes that distinguish
> it from personal property and real property -- that is why we have a
> different word for it. For example, the enforcement of an owner's
> exclusive right to use physical property may be accomplished more
> easily, as a practical matter, than enforcement of an exclusive
> intellectual property right. Antitrust enforcers should certainly remain
> open to considering new ideas about how the rights associated with
> intellectual property can and should be distinguished from the ownership
> of tangible property in the analysis of antitrust liability. But for
> now, it seems fair to say that for antitrust purposes, intellectual
> property is generally treated like other forms of property."

Q: Bzzzzt. No, RMS says that "All intellectual property rights are just
licenses granted by society because it was thought, rightly or wrongly,
that society as a whole would benefit by granting them. But in any
particular situation, we have to ask: are we really better off granting
such license? What kind of act are we licensing a person to do?"

A: Lunatic RMS is simply confusing this reality with his dreams of the
GNU Republic. Both in the GNU Manifesto (quoted above) and in the GNU
GPL he's talking about legal regime in his wonderful GNU Republic (in a
nearby alternative universe, his moronic dreams aside for a moment)
where First Sale is nonexistent, IP is not property (it belongs to
state), and where distributing software under any "license" other than
the GPL (which is akin to a lottery or any other permit from state, and
hence it is, of course, not a contract or a property right), or "GPL
compatible" license (but that's for extra regulation fee, I gather),
is a felony under GNU law. But in this reality, intellectual property
is property (see Stewart v. Abend, 495 U.S. 207, 219 (1990),
Ruckelshaus v. Monsanto Co., 467 U.S. 986 (1984), etc.), and IP
licences are contracts (see citations in Wallace's brief, the link is
below).

Whatta ya think?

Hey dak, ams, and mini-RMS, collaborate! Any thoughts? TIA.