Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:58:12 +0200

Wei Mingzhi wrote:

> > Note that "exact" copies (not adaptations) made under 17 USC 117 can be
> > distributed along with the copy from which such copies were prepared.
> >
> >    Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this
> >    section may be leased, sold, or otherwise transferred, along with
> >    the copy from which such copies were prepared, only as part of the
> >    lease, sale, or other transfer of all rights in the program.
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you misread it. It's about "all rights" in ownership of a
program copy, not all rights in a copyright or something.

> ...and next time, I'll download a cracked copy of Microsoft proprietary
> software (which doesn't show me the EULA) and copy it everywhere.

It doesn't need to be a cracked copy. You can download MS software from
MS shop. It doesn't ask you to assent to EULA until you try to install
it. So you can make use of your rights under 17 USC 109 and 117
unrestrictedly with respect to making additional (e.g. archival) copies
of downloaded stuff and selling it all together on ebay or some such.

See also