Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"

From: Wisely Koh
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:13:45 +0800

Which mailing list was this correspondence taken from? Looks
interesting to me and I would like to subscribe to it.

On 7/28/06, Andreas K. Foerster <list@akfoerster.de> wrote:
Am Friday, dem 28. Jul 2006 schrieb David Kastrup:

> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >    Authored by: Anonymous on Friday, July 28 2006 @ 02:11 AM EDT
> >
> > For all anyone can know, you could have written that.
>
> Anyway, the author does not understand GPL in either version.  The

Well, I believe that that were really quotes from Linus Torvalds.
I wouldn't say that he doesn't understand the GPL, but he doesn't líke
it - because his goals are different.

The first and main goal of the free software movement and the GPL is to
protect the users freedom. Torvalds gives a damn for the users freedom.
He is decrying it as being "religous", when someone cares for the
freedom of users.

His first goal is - to say it in his own words: "having fun".
His secondary goal is making "better software". But he narrows the
meaning of the word "better" down to pure technical aspects. For him a
program is better, only when it is technically better. He doesn't care
at all, whether it is morally better or not.
Not caring about morality is in his words "practical" or "apolitical".
While some think being practical is something good, I would say
not to care about morality is something bad.

> author of that diatribe would have his goals fulfilled better by using
> the BSD license.

Maybe

--
AKFoerster