Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:18:45 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> Anyway, the author does not understand GPL in either version.  The
>
> What? Linus doesn't understand the GPL? In either version? How
> fascinating.

Whoever the author happens to be, yes, he does not appear to
understand the difference between GPL and BSD.  Because what he is
complaining about is actually _this_ difference, and not the
difference between GPLv2 and GPLv3.

I have my doubts about the veracity of this article, but it is not
exactly like Linus has not given off "interesting" opinions about the
GPL previously.

>> author of that diatribe would have his goals fulfilled better by
>> using the BSD license.
>
> Recall that Wallace action will result in BSD-ing (so to speak)
> Linus & Co's codes.

Unless you are himself, I doubt that this "Linus" prescribes to your
Terekhov La La Land theories.

>> Except that it might have kept others from joining in.
>
> What? Ultimate freedom (quasi public domain -- penalty for IPR
> misuse) "might have kept others from joining in? How so, dear
> GNUtian dak?

Take a look at the xBSD communities as compared to the Linux
communities, and a look at the license distribution of registered
projects on freshmeat.

You may ignore reality all you like (and probably will account it to
"drunken programmers" the same way you ignore legal realities by
accounting them to "drunk judges"), but that's the world you are
living in.