Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' "standing"
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:53:21 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> communities, and a look at the license distribution of registered
> projects on freshmeat.

Ignorance rules the world. (So that smart ones can live better.)

>From groklaw: (note that Anonymous != terekhov)

----
DRM "Misunderstood"
Authored by: Anonymous on Friday, July 28 2006 @ 06:47 PM EDT
Actually, I don't believe that the GPL is as popular as it is for the reasons
you believe.

I think it's because they simply don't know any better.

I've known several developers that used the GPL license simply because they
thought it was a way to release the code in the public domain.

I've known others that seriously misunderstood the terms. An example is the
recent Mepis controversy, in which the Mepis found believed they were following
the terms of the GPL by merely distributing their changes when the source was
available elsewhere. Another example is the large number of GPL'd Java
projects, considering the FSF considers it impossible to make a GPL'd Java
application.

Still others don't even know that there are other open source licenses. In a
way, the GPL is the "Microsoft" of open source licensing.

My personal estimate is that no more than 50% of the GPL'd projects are GPL'd
due to educated choice.
----

Dead junk status of freshmeat's stuff aside for a moment, I'd cut the
percentage down to 5%.