Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:59:32 +0200

Stephan Kuhagen wrote:
[...]
> More important than that is, that at least some of my modules will
> use other GPLed Libraries and Programs, so those modules have to be
> GPL anyway.

Linking is irrelevant. If your modules are not derivative works of
"GPLed Libraries and Programs" (seek the advice of your own legal
counsel re AFC test), then I suggest that you simply go ahead with
the CPL or EPL; if somebody dares to come after you claiming GPL
violation (in court of law, not those empty threats and "opinions"
the FSF is so fond of), you'll have a good chance to put the entire
GPL code base into quasi public domain. Google "Open Source
Licensing: Virus or Virtue?" and "GPL + "copyright misuse"". Show
the hits to your own legal counsel.