Re: [FYI] DANGEROUS LIAISONS – SOFTWARE COMBINATIONS AS DERIVATIVE WORK

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: [FYI] DANGEROUS LIAISONS – SOFTWARE COMBINATIONS AS DERIVATIVE WORKS?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:54:24 +0200

Hey GNUtians,

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> http://www.usfca.edu/law/determann/softwarecombinations060403.pdf
>
> -----
> PRELIMINARY DRAFT 2006/4/3 – FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY
> Accepted for Publication in Issue 21:4 (Fall 2006) of the
> BERKELEY TECHNOLOGY LAW JOURNAL
>
> DANGEROUS LIAISONS – SOFTWARE COMBINATIONS AS DERIVATIVE WORKS?
>
> Distribution, Installation and Execution of Linked Programs under
> Copyright Law, Commercial Licenses and the GPL
>
> By Lothar Determann
>
> Prof. Dr. Lothar Determann teaches courses on Computer and Internet
> law at the University of California Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall),
> University of San Francisco School of Law and Freie Universität Berlin
> (www.lothar.determann.name) and practices law as a partner in the
> international technology practice group of Baker & McKenzie LLP, San
> Francisco/Palo Alto office (www.bakernet.com). The author is grateful
> for assistance from his students, in particular Tal Lavian, Principal
> Scientist at Nortel Labs (valuable comments from computer science
> perspective), Steven B. Toeniskoetter, Lars F. Brauer, and Neda
> Shabahang (legal research and footnote editing).
> -----

First sale, copyright misuse and all that (I don't particularly agree
with his analysis and characterization of *governing* [he seems to
hightlight some bad/highly-criticized/overturned... probably poor legal
research by Neda) caselaw on software derivatives, but his conclusions
and summaries are mostly OK... except that regarding antitrust he seems
to be totally unaware of Wallace...)

Nice to see real law professors and practitioners catching up. :-)