Re: [FYI] DANGEROUS LIAISONS – SOFTWARE COMBINATIONS AS DERIVATIVE WORK

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [FYI] DANGEROUS LIAISONS – SOFTWARE COMBINATIONS AS DERIVATIVE WORKS?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:37:05 +0200

> The Prof. seems to be totally unaware of "Wallace v GPL"

Uh, nobody who wants to be taken seriously will sully himself by
mentioning a lawsuit from a private person without legal support who
is incapable of even stating a claim in multiple attempts.

> and yet he notes:
>
> -------
> a) Competition Law
>
> As previously observed, the applicability and effects of competition law
> depend largely on the situation (i.e., on the affected markets and the
> parties' market power.)271 Thus, competition laws would probably play an
> insignificant role with respect to a relationship between two individual
> developers, but they could well come into play if a number of dominant
> suppliers272 or purchasers273 pushed to establish the GPL as a standard
> with the intent to drive "software only" companies from the market.
> -------

I suppose you look up "standard" in a computer dictionary of your
choice.  A standard is about making criteria for subsequent creation
of _independent_ copyrightable material, by coercing _agreement_ in
separate pieces of software, not mere _compliance_ with copying
conditions.