Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- The Joke of Today

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- The Joke of Today
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:21:41 +0200

Well, not quite about the GPL (except that the GNU President declared
SUN's CDDL "GPL incompatible" for various reasons and ruled that "a
module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot
legally be linked together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this
reason. Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term
"intellectual property" <www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html>"),
but still funny.

--------
Re: Question for the Day
backinfullforce
Male

http://news.com.com/Firing+up+IBMs+Unix+business+-+page+2/2008-1010_3-6101559-2.html

http://news.com.com/IBM+takes+potshots+at+OpenSolaris/2100-7344_3-6106360.html

I find it strange and don't think it to be coincidence that Ross Mauri
and Scott Handy and Dan Frye don't seem to have a problem sounding like
complete imbeciles and to undercut the credibility of their statements
taking stabs at Sun Microsystems for precisely open sourcing its Solaris
OS while at the same time using the opportunity to tell and repeat that
IBM's AIX OS will stay closed source, including the reasons why. No less.

I mean, the three gentlemen could have touted IBM's many truly open
source initiatives dwarfing Sun Microsystems' fake OpenSolaris initiative
without saying a word about closing AIX.

So, what is the real message IBM wants to get across?

BTW The Joke of Today is this one:

Hello, LinuxWorld! - It's so nice to have you back where you belong
- Authored by: Anonymous on Tuesday, August 15 2006 @ 06:20 PM EDT
Howdy from Moscone North!
Yes, Im here at LinuxWorld in San Francisco. My biggest disappointment
is how many of the "Linux Vendors" are running Windows for their
demonstrations. It's not that there's no Linux (or Open Source)
equivalent of Powerpoint or Word or even Internet Explorer. But some of
the larger vendors (including Motorola, Oracle and LinuxWorld itself!)
are running Windows and Microsoft software when Open Sourced software
clearly exists. Shame, Shame, Shame!

- Authored by: PJ on Tuesday, August 15 2006 @ 07:53 PM EDT
Well, you should definitely tell LinuxWorld folks. Don Marti has a blog
now for comments about LW. Do tell him of your disappointment.
But keep in mind that it's a fresh start, and it may take a while for
everything to get in gear.

End of Joke.

So, larger vendors such as Motorola and Oracle are back to running
Windows in Linuxworld, because Linuxworld - "in new hands I am happy to
say" - is freshly relaunched.
--------