Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- GPLv3 conference in Bangalore

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- GPLv3 conference in Bangalore
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:47:51 +0200

must have been real fun...

http://gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/2006/08/28/#20060828-gplv3-bangalore

------
GPLv3 conference in bangalore

It's already four days ago, but I just couldn't find some time to write
about it in this blog. The 4th international conference on GPLv3, held
in Bangalore/India.

I've been to three of those four confrences now, and I guess that makes
me the only one apart from the FSF to judge how it actually went,
compared to other events.

And I'm sorry that I have to say that it was by far the worst of these
events :(

    * They closed down registration at some fixed limit (270?) because
the auditorium couldn't hold more people. However, since the
registration was free, only 50% fo the people who registered were
actually present. And this at the expense of people apparently have been
turned away after the quota was filled. Now we had a half-empty
auditorium, and people who wanted to come but were rejected.

    * The programme. Basically RMS and Eben did not only give there
usual (every time updated) great presentations on the spirit and the
wording of the current license draft. But then they were kept alone on
the stage to reply to questions for about the same time. Nobody else but
them was giving any presentations on something that is really GPLv3
related.

    * The panels. What is the point of a "business panel" if all(most)
you have represented there is some small three-men-in-a-garage companies
that are run by free software enthusiasts? Where have beeen the Infosys,
Wipro, ... companies? Don't they have something to say about the GPLv3?

    * The audience. How can you come to a conference on the GPLv3 and
then ask questions that

          o everybody knows will upset rms because they use Linxu with
            no GNU/ in front

          o are totally unrelated (how can I make Autocad work on Linux

          o reveal that you haven't even bothered reading the GPLv3
            draft

      Where were the GPL-savyy lawyers, free software developers and
industry representatives that had made their way to the Barcelona and
Porto Alegre event?

    * The [non-existing] moderation. Why was there nobody stopping all
that off-topic crap like endless discussions on why gnucash isn't
conforming the Indian accounting standards. I'm sure those are important
problems to be adressed (and somebody should just hack that code into
gnucash if he has a need for it). But who the hell cares about this on a
conference specialized to license questions?
------